Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Chapter One from Fulfilling the Promise of the Differentiated Classroom

Choose one of the following to respond to and then either post an aah statement that spoke powerfully to you and share the connection you made with it or choose a second statement that was meaningful to me and add your connection.

1a. On page 10 of this reading assignment, Tomlinson states that “teachers who are willing to establish ties with students discover new depths of truth each day...” What does this mean to you?

I loved the section in Chapter 1 that compare the story of The Little Prince to teachers. I found it very insightful to think that teachers need to help "tame" students. As a teacher I need to help my students become comfortable and successful in the school setting.

I believe that when teachers establish necessary ties with their students during the "taming" process the teachers will discover new truths about each individual child each day. As the student begins to feel safe in the hands of their teacher, he or she will reveal characteristics and truths about him or her self so the teacher can in return better help each child to succeed.

The more genuine truth I can learn about each child in my classroom the more I can differentiate instruction to meet his or her needs the best I can. I am very willing to take the risks to help my students trust me. I want to make the ties to my students so together we can be successful on their road to the best versions of themselves.

1 comment:

  1. ..I'll bet you will jump into this without even a parachute you are so confident you will succeed. Do it girl!

    ReplyDelete